Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Mexican Rice


Mexican Rice definitely spices up a meal.  You could add chicken and veggies and make it a great meal. Yum, sounds good.  I sometimes use it along side my homemade quick chili. 

I give this 5 out of 5 stars for being just plain good.
Mexican Rice
(from allrecipes.com)


1 cup uncooked rice

3 Tblsp olive oil

1 tsp garlic salt (garlic powder if you're cutting down the salt)

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/4 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup tomato sauce

2 cups chicken broth (or veggie, or half and half)


Heat oil and add rice. Cook, stir constantly until golden. Sprinkle with garlic salt and cumin. Stir in onions and cook until "tender." Stir in tomato sauce and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or more (20 minutes didn't cut it for me so I just watched until it looked right - you know, like rice is supposed to look). Fluff with fork.



I tend to make this in advance for a meal and refrigerate and reheat later in the evening. I have to admit I've never made just one cup at any time. I've made 2, 3, and 4 cups, so I've doubled, tripled, and quadrupled according to how many guests I've had (13 guests = 4 cups rice, but gives some leftovers, just in case you were wondering, lol).


No comments:

Post a Comment